CH+D Awards Extra: Return of the BlobAuthor:Bryan Anthony
This month, we announced the winners of our highly prized CH+D Awards. Now, get the inside scoop from all the winners!
Architect John Lum’s cardboard lounge chair named the Blob took home the prize for Best Sustainable Product Design. Who knew that something with such an unappealing name could look so lovely?
1) What’s your favorite local shop for unique items for your projects?
I love The Apartment in San Francisco. It’s a shop ran by down-to-earth owners selling great found objects at very reasonable prices.
2) Which design trend are you ready to see go away?
Ironic crystal chandeliers
3) What’s one detail about your project that you love but most people overlook?
The sense of movement one gets when one passes by the Blob.
4) If you could spend a week working alongside any architect or interior designer (dead or alive) who would it be?
Richard Neutra. It would be fascinating to see him work through his process and decision making when it came to spatial arrangements.
5) When you found out you won, who was the first person you called to share the news with?
My partner, artist Michael Light.
Brooklyn-Based Home Studios Breathes New Life into San Diego at Neighborhood
As the world reopens and nightlife is coming back to, well, life, restauranteurs and bar owners are eager to give their…
- July 23, 2021
Made Local: In the Spotlight
Legendary craftsman David Copello Guild is emerging from the shadows with an impressive perspective and collection David Copello FOUNDED IN 1990,…
- July 20, 2021
Most Wanted: Changing the Climate
Sabrina MacLean of Hinojosa Design Studio shares stylishly sustainable accessories “I rarely find new bathroom accessories that are unique. So we…
- July 19, 2021