CH+D Awards Extra: Return of the BlobAuthor:Bryan Anthony
This month, we announced the winners of our highly prized CH+D Awards. Now, get the inside scoop from all the winners!
Architect John Lum’s cardboard lounge chair named the Blob took home the prize for Best Sustainable Product Design. Who knew that something with such an unappealing name could look so lovely?
1) What’s your favorite local shop for unique items for your projects?
I love The Apartment in San Francisco. It’s a shop ran by down-to-earth owners selling great found objects at very reasonable prices.
2) Which design trend are you ready to see go away?
Ironic crystal chandeliers
3) What’s one detail about your project that you love but most people overlook?
The sense of movement one gets when one passes by the Blob.
4) If you could spend a week working alongside any architect or interior designer (dead or alive) who would it be?
Richard Neutra. It would be fascinating to see him work through his process and decision making when it came to spatial arrangements.
5) When you found out you won, who was the first person you called to share the news with?
My partner, artist Michael Light.
Going the Distance
British-born Hector Finch sheds light on their family-run business Hector Finch in the showroom in 1997. Hector Finch began in the…
- October 22, 2021
Design Matters: FDC + NICOLEHOLLIS Grant
California design icon NICOLEHOLLIS and the Female Design Council have joined forces to create more opportunity and support for female-identified BIPOC…
- October 15, 2021
Fall Preview: Palm Springs Modernism
Finally, some of the most exciting events are returning post-pandemic including the highly-anticipated Palm Springs Modernism Week fall preview, opening tomorrow…
- October 13, 2021