Beachwood Cafe’s Bacon & Gruyère SconesAuthor:Lindsey Shook
What you’ll need:
- 1lb regular- or thick-sliced bacon, rendered to yield 1 cup chopped bacon and ¼ cup bacon fat
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tbsps baking powder
- 1½ tsps salt
- 10 tbsps cold unsalted butter
- 1¾ cups heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
What you do:
- Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- Cook bacon through, but not until well done. Reserve rendered bacon fat. Let bacon cool and chop into ¼ inch strips.
- In a large metal bowl, sift flour and baking powder together. Add salt.
- Cut butter into 1-inch cubes and add to the flour mixture. Mix using a pastry blender, leaving no chunk bigger than a pea. Work quickly and in a cool area so the butter doesn’t get too soft.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, whisk bacon fat and cream together.
- Make a well in the center of the flour mixture. Pour the bacon fat and cream into the well.
- Using your hands, mix in the liquid until the dough is shaggy.
- Add chopped bacon and cheese to the dough. Gently mix in with hands, distributing evenly. Do not overwork dough.
- Pull off 4 oz. portions and place on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Place the sheet on the middle rack of the oven. Bake for 30 minutes, until the scones are golden and firm to the touch.
To Serve Let cool for 7 minutes, then serve with regular, herbed or maple butter.
Learn more about the revival of the Beachwood Cafe here!
Industry pioneers Kneedler Fauchère celebrate a historic 75th anniversary by reflecting on their her-storic foundation The original showroom located in Jackson…
- September 22, 2023
Save the Date: The 2023 San Francisco Fall Show
The country’s most iconic antique show returns from Thursday, October 12 through Sunday, October 15 at Fort Mason Center for Arts…
- September 20, 2023
Step Virtually Inside the Living by Design Showhouse
The innovative design platform Embello launches its second annual virtual showhouse, Living by Design featuring dream rooms designed by 12 industry…
- September 13, 2023