Designer Crush Q&A: Nicole HollisAuthor:Rachel Amy Shahvar
We love how Nicole doesn’t shy away from dark, dramatic style while still bringing serious wow factor, and couldn’t wait to hear her answers to our Designer Crush Q&A questions.
1. Where do you currently live in CA and what’s your favorite thing about how you’ve designed your personal space?
I live in San Francisco. We are in the middle of a major renovation so it’s hard to say… but I am super excited about the moody master suite I’m working on and my daughter’s bright and whimsical bedroom.
2. What’s your dream design project? Who would it be for (dead or alive)?
A luxury eco resort. Hmmm… Alexander McQueen or Brancusi.
3. In real life, what’s your favorite project you’ve completed to date?
An amazing vacation home in Hawaii. It was a ground up project and the clients were incredible to work with. It allowed me to focus on the interior architecture and the raw materials. For me a great project is more about the bones than the decoration.
4. You’ve been gifted a fabulously furnished dream home but can only bring one item from your current space. What would it be?
My giant Masion Margiela snow globe. It reminds me to shake things up and dream a little.
5. What’s your creative process when designing a space?
I spend as much time as I can on site, getting a sense of its angles, moods, proportions, the way the natural light works in the space. Then I go back to the studio and gather books, images, inspiration. I work with a very dynamic team and we spend a lot of time collaborating at the beginning of a project, envisioning and refining the design direction.
6. Where do you score your favorite interior design items? Any shopping tips?
Alameda Flea Market has gotten pricey but you can still unearth some real goodies. March Pantry. Obsolete. A’maree’s in Newport Beach
7. Ever had an epic DIY disaster? What project would you never dream of taking on yourself again?
Don’t have one exactly but I’ve definitely had to rip things out and start over. Interior design is a lot like building blocks- you’ve got to get the base balanced before you start layering. Everyone needs help designing their kitchen- including me.
8. What new design trend are you excited to integrate into your next project?
All black exteriors.
9. Lightning round! (pick one)
Beach or mountains?
Twitter or Facebook?
Architectural Digest or Wallpaper?
Should you spend money on a fabulous bathroom or kitchen?
Would you rather shop new or vintage?
Great view or perfect pool?
SF or LA?
10. What’s one tip you wish someone had told you when first starting out in the design world?
Hire the best accountant you can afford.
Get more Nicole Hollis:
Industry pioneers Kneedler Fauchère celebrate a historic 75th anniversary by reflecting on their her-storic foundation The original showroom located in Jackson…
- September 22, 2023
Save the Date: The 2023 San Francisco Fall Show
The country’s most iconic antique show returns from Thursday, October 12 through Sunday, October 15 at Fort Mason Center for Arts…
- September 20, 2023
Step Virtually Inside the Living by Design Showhouse
The innovative design platform Embello launches its second annual virtual showhouse, Living by Design featuring dream rooms designed by 12 industry…
- September 13, 2023