Harvest Moon: Recipes From an Ovid Winery RetreatAuthor:Abigail Stone
Every year, Ovid Winery celebrates a symbolic metamorphosis. Read the full story here, then indulge in these stellar recipes!
Lettuces with dried cherries, pecans and fresh herbs
1 cup dried, pitted sweet cherries
1 cup red wine
1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup finely minced shallots
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
Juice of 1 lemon
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
1-1/2 cup pecan halves
2 heads red butter lettuce leaves, separated, washed and chilled
2 heads red Belgian endive, thickly sliced, width-wise
1 head radicchio, torn into large pieces
1/3 cup chervil leaves
2 Tbsp finely chopped chives
1. In a small mixing bowl, combine dried cherries and red wine; soak for 30 minutes or longer.
2. In a separate small bowl, make the dressing by whisking together the olive oil, shallots, balsamic vinegar and lemon juice.
3. In a small sauté pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add pecan halves, season with salt and pepper, and stir until the pecans are lightly toasted. Remove from the heat and spread the pecans on paper towels to cool.
4. Tear lettuce into large pieces and combine with the sliced endive and radicchio in a serving bowl. Toss with the dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste. Add drained cherries, pecans and fresh herbs, and toss gently. Serve immediately.
Pastina with walnut pesto
1 lb ancini di pepe pasta
1 cup walnuts, lightly toasted
1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, washed;
leaves separated from stems
1 cup olive oil
Juice of 1 lemon
1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add 3 Tbsp salt to the water and then add the pasta. Cook according to package directions. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water, and set aside before draining the pasta in a colander.
2. In a food processor, combine nuts and parsley. With the food processor running, add olive oil until the mixture is coarsely blended. Add 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Add the Parmesan and pulse a few times. The sauce can be blended until smooth, or for more texture and contrast, briefly pulse the mixture instead.
3. Place the pasta in a heated serving bowl, and gently stir in the remaining 1/2 cup water.
4. Fold in the pesto sauce and serve.
Barbecued Lamb Chops
2 cups soy sauce
3/4 cup lemon juice
2 tsp granulated garlic
2 tsp ground black pepper
12 double-cut rib lamb chops
1. In a shallow dish, mix the soy sauce, lemon juice, garlic and pepper.
Add the lamb chops and marinate, covered, for 3–4 hours, turning the chops midway through.
2. One hour before cooking, remove the chops from the marinade, letting them come to room temperature.
3. Grill the chops on a very hot barbecue for 4–6 minutes on each side for medium rare. Let chops rest for 5 minutes before serving.
Originally published in the Winter 2013 issue of California Home+Design. Click here to subscribe. Photos by Eric Wolfinger.
2023 Product Design Award: Livwell by Natasha Baradaran
It is no secret that the interior design and development industries are often the most detrimental to the health of our…
- March 24, 2023
Out on the Town: Luxury Living Group Opens with a New Design
To kick-off Oscar weekend, Italian design brand Luxury Living Group celebrated the re-opening of their L.A. showroom—located on Beverly Blvd—in their…
- March 15, 2023
The celebrated L.A. interior designer discusses “CURATED: The Collection of Cliff Fong” auction at Bonhams Cliff Fong outside his L.A. home.…
- March 9, 2023