Designer Crush Q&A: Kenneth BrownAuthor:Rachel Amy Shahvar
Thanks Kenneth for answering our Designer Crush Q&A!
1. Where do you currently live in CA and what’s special about how you’ve designed your personal space?
I live in the canyons of the Hollywood Hills. It’s actually my second home as I split my time between California and Louisiana. The design of my California home is special because it is oriented toward a large garden that allows me to escape the stress of Los Angeles. Also, it doesn’t hurt that it is one of a few Paul Williams midcentury modern-designed homes.
2. What’s your dream design project? Who would it be for (dead or alive)?
I’m going to be selfish here and say my own home in Louisiana. I bought a tear down and its still standing.
3. In real life, what’s your favorite design project you’ve completed to date?
Without sounding too sappy, my favorite project has been doing my parents’ home. They sacrificed so much to put me through college and it was a great way to pay them back.
4. You’ve been gifted a fabulously furnished dream home but can only bring one item from your current space. What would it be?
Without a doubt I would bring the drawings of houses on the back of old computer paper I drew when I was 10.
5. What’s your creative process when designing a space?
When possible, I try and gain access to floor plans prior to seeing a space in person. I love studying floor plans so I can visually create what I believe to be the best layout of furniture and materials. By doing this, the current conditions don’t spoil my vision. The biggest mistake happens when you try and force something from an existing space that just doesn’t work anymore.
6. Where do you score prized interior design items? Any shopping tips?
Formations on Melrose has the best small accessories, statues and an awesome quick ship program. I could live in their showroom.
7. Ever had an epic DIY disaster? What project would you never take on again yourself?
Yes, I tried to hang wallpaper in a bathroom. Lets just say it ended up with staples. Never again.
8. What new design trend are you excited to integrate into your next project?
Less stuff! I am excited mostly by being able to clear the clutter out of clients’ homes.
9. Lightning round!
Beach or mountains?
Instagram or Pinterest?
Architectural Digest or Wallpaper?
Should you spend money on a fabulous bathroom or kitchen?
Would you rather shop new or vintage?
Great view or perfect pool?
SF or LA?
10. What’s one tip you wish someone had told you when first starting out in the design world?
Be confident in your decisions. People hire you for your ability to pull it all together. No one else has the answers.
Want More Kenneth Brown?
Industry pioneers Kneedler Fauchère celebrate a historic 75th anniversary by reflecting on their her-storic foundation The original showroom located in Jackson…
- September 22, 2023
Save the Date: The 2023 San Francisco Fall Show
The country’s most iconic antique show returns from Thursday, October 12 through Sunday, October 15 at Fort Mason Center for Arts…
- September 20, 2023
Step Virtually Inside the Living by Design Showhouse
The innovative design platform Embello launches its second annual virtual showhouse, Living by Design featuring dream rooms designed by 12 industry…
- September 13, 2023