Designer Crush: Kirill IstominAuthor:Michelle Konstantinovsky
1. Who is your biggest role model?
Oscar de la Renta. He was a person with impeccable taste and a true gentleman.
2. Which movie or play do you wish you could have designed the set for?
Anna Karenina – I love costume dramas! Addams Family would be fun too.
3. What is the best way to gauge a client’s personality before starting a project?
I usually try to find out what the client dislikes. Somehow it’s easier for people to say what they don’t like, rather than name something they do like.
4. What new design trends are you excited to integrate into your work?
The comeback of gold. I think many people are afraid of using it, but gold is great if used correctly.
5. How do you completely unwind?
Spending time with my 5-year-old twins.
6. If you hadn’t become a designer, which career would you have pursued?
If I didn’t become an interior designer, I would be a jewelry designer. I love Schlumberger, Verdura, David Webb, and Van Cleef & Arpels.
7. What’s the worst pre-designer job you’ve ever had and why?
While attending Corcoran school of Arts in Washington D.C., I worked as a waiter for one month. It did not work out!
8. What’s your favorite recipe?
I love everything artichokes! For me, the best recipe is steamed artichoke with a touch of French vinegar. It’s healthy and tastes great!
9. Create your perfect playlist for us.
My playlist has changed recently, because I’m pretty much influenced by what my kids love to listen. So here’s what my playlist looks right now:
10. Would you rather shop new or vintage?
11. First celebrity crush?
I can’t remember who the first one was, but I really would be excited to meet with Valentino and Tim Burton.
12. What’s your hidden talent?
Being a good dad.
Out on the Town: Luxury Living Group Opens with a New Design
To kick-off Oscar weekend, Italian design brand Luxury Living Group celebrated the re-opening of their L.A. showroom—located on Beverly Blvd—in their…
- March 15, 2023
The celebrated L.A. interior designer discusses “CURATED: The Collection of Cliff Fong” auction at Bonhams Cliff Fong outside his L.A. home.…
- March 9, 2023
Architect Crush: Anne Mooney and John Sparano of Sparano + Mooney Architecture
The great American frontier has inspired innovation and produced many innovators including the prolific founders of Sparano + Mooney Architecture, Anne…
- March 2, 2023