Designer Crush: Katie MartinezAuthor:Michelle Konstantinovsky
1. Who is your biggest role model?
My parents. They are generous, open and have encouraged me to pursue my dream of being an interior designer since I was a little girl.
2. Which movie or play do you wish you could have designed the set for?
American Hustle. I’ve always had a thing for the ’70s.
3. What is the best way to gauge a client’s personality before starting a project?
I listen carefully to how they describe their typical day, other spaces they love and what they are hoping for. Every client and family is so unique- helping them to create a beautiful and functional home that works for them is something I really love about my job.
4. What new design trends are you excited to integrate into your work?
Color. I’m noticing a lot more color in interiors and I’m onboard!
5. How do you completely unwind?
With a glass of wine and an episode of Game of Thrones.
6. If you hadn’t become a designer, which career would you have pursued?
I would want to be an architect or a landscape architect.
7. What’s the worst pre-designer job you’ve ever had and why?
Working in a women’s clothing store one college summer. Not many people came in and I wasn’t allowed to sit down.
8. What’s your favorite recipe (can also be a cocktail recipe!)?
I’ve always had a soft spot for French Toast made with really good bread.
9. Create your perfect playlist for us.
10. Would you rather shop new or vintage?
11. First celebrity crush?
Tom Cruise in Top Gun.
12. What’s your hidden talent?
13. Best restaurant in your area? Where is it?
Just went to Frances in the Castro, SF. Delicious!
14. SF or LA?
Out on the Town: A Celebration of Presidential Preservation
In honor of the 20th annual Modernism Week, SIA Projects (Save Iconic Architecture) and California Home+Design hosted an intimate dinner at…
- February 17, 2020
Designer Crush: Hirsch Bedner Associates
With more than 35 years of experience, Kathleen Dauber oversees and implements projects at Hirsch Bedner Associates from the initial architectural…
- February 17, 2020
Sir Francis Drake Hotel’s Iconic Club is Now Lizzie’s Starlight
Long considered one of San Francisco’s nightlife staples, the Starlight Room received a head-to-toe makeover late last year and is now…
- February 14, 2020