Designer Crush: Katie MartinezAuthor:Michelle Konstantinovsky
1. Who is your biggest role model?
My parents. They are generous, open and have encouraged me to pursue my dream of being an interior designer since I was a little girl.
2. Which movie or play do you wish you could have designed the set for?
American Hustle. I’ve always had a thing for the ’70s.
3. What is the best way to gauge a client’s personality before starting a project?
I listen carefully to how they describe their typical day, other spaces they love and what they are hoping for. Every client and family is so unique- helping them to create a beautiful and functional home that works for them is something I really love about my job.
4. What new design trends are you excited to integrate into your work?
Color. I’m noticing a lot more color in interiors and I’m onboard!
5. How do you completely unwind?
With a glass of wine and an episode of Game of Thrones.
6. If you hadn’t become a designer, which career would you have pursued?
I would want to be an architect or a landscape architect.
7. What’s the worst pre-designer job you’ve ever had and why?
Working in a women’s clothing store one college summer. Not many people came in and I wasn’t allowed to sit down.
8. What’s your favorite recipe (can also be a cocktail recipe!)?
I’ve always had a soft spot for French Toast made with really good bread.
9. Create your perfect playlist for us.
10. Would you rather shop new or vintage?
11. First celebrity crush?
Tom Cruise in Top Gun.
12. What’s your hidden talent?
13. Best restaurant in your area? Where is it?
Just went to Frances in the Castro, SF. Delicious!
14. SF or LA?
2021 Builder Awards: Builder of the Year, Jeff King & Company
Somehow it’s not completely surprising to learn that San Francisco-based contractor Jeff King’s origins are in sculpture. A review of the…
- January 14, 2022
The Creative Life
Jason Martin settles into a newly expanded Martin & Brockett showroom and studio in Mid-City L.A. Photo by Jon Keiser. In…
- January 10, 2022
Save the Date: 2022 Fog Design+Art Returns
On January 19, the eighth annual Fog Design+Art fair returns to S.F.’s Fort Mason featuring works presented by 45 international galleries,…
- January 7, 2022