Designer Crush: Lauren GoldmanAuthor:Michelle Konstantinovsky
1. Who is your biggest role model?
My mom. I feel this more and more as I balance my own family with my work.
2. Which movie or play do you wish you could have designed the set for?
Rent, the Broadway play. While it was made famous by the music and storyline, it’s impossible to hear the songs and not think of the set, which reflected the raw and exposed lives of its characters. The design reflected and reinforced the subject matter.
3. What is the best way to gauge a client’s personality before starting a project?
How they treat their partner will be how they treat their design team. This theory never fails. If there is a mutual respect in their relationship, you will receive the same treatment and so will the project.
4. What new design elements are you excited to integrate into your work?
LED lighting has completely altered lighting and how we design around it. The evolution of it’s small sizing has not only influenced fixtures, but also in the design of some of the cabinetry or other features no longer needing to accommodate a larger fixture. In some ways, it has a much greater influence on how we are designing a beautiful and efficient home than the ‘smart homes’ technologies.
5. How do you completely unwind?
Sweatpants and lemon ginger tea.
6. If you hadn’t become a designer, which career would you have pursued?
I was already smitten with design at an early age after receiving my first lego set, so it’s been impossible to imagine doing anything else. But, the one time I feel the wisp of ‘what if’ is when I walk into an art gallery, likely attributed to my college degree in Art History.
7. What’s the worst pre-designer job you’ve ever had and why?
I’m a native Californian and my pre-designer resume reflects that – lifeguard, summertime nanny in Northern California, camp counselor in Malibu, can’t complain.
8. What’s your favorite recipe?
Old Cuban from Nopa in San Francisco:
Tools: Muddler, shaker, strainer, fine strainer, glass, champagne.
- 1½ oz. aged rum
- ¾ oz. fresh lime juice
- 1 oz. simple syrup (1:1)
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 6-8 mint leaves
- 2 oz. dry sparkling wine
- Combine all the ingredients except the sparkling wine in a shaker and fill with ice.
- Shake to chill.
- Double-strain into glass, top with the sparkling wine and garnish.
9. Create your perfect playlist for us.
10. Who is your designer crush?
Diane von Furstenberg. The wrap dress. So distinct, so simple, so stylish. Also the perfect canvas for years of patterns, colors and trends. The foundation of her brand that evolved by listening to what women wanted to wear and found a way to make women look and feel great.
11. Would you rather shop new or vintage?
12. First celebrity crush?
Larry Mullen Jr., the drummer from U2.
13. What’s your hidden talent?
Sense of direction. Unfortunately, Google maps has made this irrelevant.
14. Best restaurant in your area? Where is it?
Sushi Ran, Michelin star, Sausalito.
15. SF or LA?
SF (with LA architecture and style).
2023 Product Design Award: Livwell by Natasha Baradaran
It is no secret that the interior design and development industries are often the most detrimental to the health of our…
- March 24, 2023
Out on the Town: Luxury Living Group Opens with a New Design
To kick-off Oscar weekend, Italian design brand Luxury Living Group celebrated the re-opening of their L.A. showroom—located on Beverly Blvd—in their…
- March 15, 2023
The celebrated L.A. interior designer discusses “CURATED: The Collection of Cliff Fong” auction at Bonhams Cliff Fong outside his L.A. home.…
- March 9, 2023