Designer Crush: Alison PickartAuthor:Michelle Konstantinovsky
1. How did you get your start in design?
I started reading everything I could get my hands on, to technically understand how to‘design’ and draw, self-teaching the basics of how to communicate through sketches and floorplan. This only fueled my desire to take on more responsibility with the projects I was sent on. That job gave me the first opportunity to see the design process from initial client meeting through to final installation…and I was hooked!
2. How does your knowledge of construction and architecture influence your approach and perspective?
3. What’s your process for getting to know a client?
4. Tell us about a particularly memorable project.
5. How do you define “California style”?
6. Which designers/architects have been most influential in your career and what about their work has inspired you most?
It’s a list!!
- Bobby McAlpine
- Tom Kundig
- Alessandra Branca
- Kelly Wearstler
- Robert AM Stern
- Victoria Hagaan
But my favorite…
Lee Ledbetter, (New Orleans based) who is an incredible architect, and a dear friend of my husband and I. A long time ago, we went to see him and his partner, Doug, at their home in New Orleans. It was this beautifully grand house in the French Quarter, exquisitely traditional in its architectural detailing; super high ceilings crowned with layers and layers of details. His furnishings were classically modern and filled with art collected throughout his and Doug’s careers. I remember being so inspired by what he had done at the time, blending the two ends of the design spectrum – in a way, seeing their space inspired a totally new approach to designing!
7. What’s your dream vacation destination and why?
9. First celebrity crush?
10. Cookies and cream or key lime pie?
11. Rom-com or thriller?
12. Selfies: yay or nay?
Paola Lenti Collection at the 2019 San Francisco Decorator Showcase
Bring life to your outdoor space this spring with the newest furniture collections by Paola Lenti, a design brand recognized for…
- May 17, 2019
Trend: Shaken & Stirred
Curate a cocktail corner that inspires endless fun Tea Trolley 900 in Deep Sea by Artek for Heath Ceramics Coven by…
- May 16, 2019
Bella Notte Linens Offers a Family-Friendly Approach
When fashion designer and entrepreneur Kathleen McCoy had the idea to start a family-friendly luxury bedding business two decades ago, she…
- May 15, 2019