A Weekend Of Design Returns: The 8th LA Design FestivalAuthor:Abigail Stone
The eighth edition of LA Design Festival returns June 7 to June 10, 2018. This itineration of the citywide celebration of LA’s rich design culture features 80+ events, ranging across Los Angeles, for a jam-packed, informative and fun four days. Events range from talks, tours and design shows to installations, exhibitions, and parties.
Celebrating the City’s status as a global design capital, the definition of design is purposely broad to ensure that it is reflective of LA’s diversity and talent. From architecture and interiors to graphic, industrial, fashion, set, costume, and experiential design, the LA Design Festival showcases the best of the local design scene as well as some exciting national and international voices. Stop by the Knoll Design Shop, tour the Modernica factory and the studio’s of lighting design Brendan Ravenhill and architects Rios Clementi Hale, listen to a keynote from the City’s Chief Design Officer Christopher Hawthorne, and join the Design Block Party at ROW DTLA — and that just a small handful of events from the first day!
Other should-not-be-missed highlights of this year’s include:
- INTRO/LA, a curated selection of the best new furniture and home design, featuring a new mix of independent designers including Bari Ziperstein, Resident, Estudio Persona, and Block Shop and more RSVP here.
- Hop on a Design Tour to explore the creative side of LA. Featured tours include de LaB’s annual design ride, a tour of a Modern Venice Beach Cottage, West Adams Studio Tour featuring MASHStudios and RCHS, a tour of Vernon’s creative factories (Modernica and Lumi), and an all-day exploration of Culver City. See all tours here.
- MINI LIVING brings their vision of the future of urban living to Los Angeles. Check out the urban cabin on the roof at ROW DTLA. RSVP for public tours here
- Chromatic Dinner hosted by Feastown at Eastown. This multi-sensory five course dinner experience created by Amsterdam-based artist Martin Butler and vegan chef Alexander Gershberg blends gastronomy, art, and design. Get your tickets here.
- Saturday is all about Late Night Design. Dopium LA returns with Dimensions – a multi-sensory art and design experience – at the A+D Museum and the studios on Kohler Street host one of their epic Design Nights.
- Design, etc. LIVE brings the LA Design Festival podcast and magazine to life on stage for three days of confabs featuring Chief Design Officer Christopher Hawthorne, Julie Eizenberg, Jimenez Lai, Barbara Bestor, Archinect x Johnston Marklee, a conversation with modern inventor Clay Alexander (Ember), Anna Charity (Headspace), and Frances Anderton. Check out the full list of speakers here.
The nucleus of the Festival is centered at ROW DTLA and features three days of design talks when Design, etc. LIVE brings the LA Design Festival’s podcast and magazine to life on stage for three days of confabs featuring Chief Design Officer Christopher Hawthorne, Julie Eizenberg, Jimenez Lai, Barbara Bestor, Archinect x Johnston Marklee, a conversation with modern inventor Clay Alexander (Ember), Anna Charity (Headspace), and Frances Anderton. Check out the full list of speakers here.
For the full schedule of events and to RSVP, click here