A Classic 1952 Neutra In Rancho Santa Fe, $6.5MAuthor:Philip Ferrato
Sited on three private acres in one of Rancho Santa Fe’s most desirable neighborhoods, this newly-listed home (known to architecture scholars as the Marshall House) was originally created by Richard Neutra, one of Southern California’s most prolific influential Modernist architects. Elegantly expanded and renovated multiple times over the decades, the architect’s signature elements still shine.
Reflecting the nascent 1950s drive-up culture, the entry via a sheltering porte-cochere/carport, leads through a rough-hewn stone colonnade along a shallow reflecting pool, a feature Neutra would later use in his 1959 masterpiece, the Singleton House.
The stone piers are repeated throughout the house; the living room features one of Neutra’s signature brick fireplaces. The expansive poolside kitchen is entirely new.