Designer Crush: Contour Interior DesignAuthor:Michelle Konstantinovsky
Interior designer and TV personality Nina Magon is known for a signature modern aesthetic that blends the bold and the glamorous. As the creative director and principal of Contour Interior Design with locations in Houston and Miami, Magon combines innovation, construction expertise, and business skills to bring residential, commercial, and hospitality interiors to life. In addition to being hand-picked by Nake Berkus to appear on NBC’s American Dream Builders, Magon has won numerous awards, stands as a member to multiple design associations and remains philanthropic to many non-profit organizations including Texas Children’s Hospital, Unicef and Pin Oak Charities. Learn more in our Q+A below.
1. How did you get your start in design? I always wanted a creative outlet while I was in school for Economics and Finance. Initially thinking my drive was in the fashion industry, I opened up my own luxury lingerie boutique. It took me only a few days to realize that I was more passionate about the design of my store more than the merchandise inside of it so I decided to blend my background in real estate and fashion for my newfound love of interior design.
2. You work in both Houston and Miami – how does the design aesthetic differ between locations and how do you compare it to California style?Houston is definitely more traditional then Miami, but we are really trying to bring our forward-thinking European aesthetic to both cities and across the states. In my opinion, California’s design aesthetic is minimal, warm, modern and timeless while still depicting a forward-thinking aesthetic in a very organic manner.
3. Describe one particularly memorable project. 51fifteen Restaurant inside of Saks in Houston is one project that sticks out to me. This was the first restaurant project we ever did and the completed design came out fabulous. We as a team faced our fears and came out shining and this project really put us on the map and exponentially propelled us to become nationally and internationally recognized in commercial and hospitality design.
4. Tell us about your experience filming “American Dream Builders. “It was one of the most pivotal things that I did in my career but also one of the most challenging. The competition for “American Dream Builders” was to determine who the best of the best interior designer was in the nation. The constraints of time, resources and being on television forced me to jump outside my comfort zone to eventually help to grow not only in my career but also personal life.
5. Who have been your biggest design inspirations and role models? Zaha Hadid had an unshakeable determination and fierce dynamism. The Iraqi-born British architect was known for building the unbuildable- she massively changed the industry for female architects and designers as she gave them a role model and someone to look up towards. I’ve always been greatly inspired by Zaha due to the face that she paved the way, and gained respect for female, minority designers.
6. What’s your idea of a perfect Sunday from a.m. to p.m.?
Wake up late, go to the gym, spend time with my family in the park, do some online shopping and relax with a movie in the evening.
7. First concert?Aerosmith
8. First celebrity crush?Antonio Sabato Jr. [General Hospital].
9. Favorite ice cream flavor?Mint chocolate chip.
10. Best Netflix binge show?Black Mirror.
11. Favorite book?Shawshank Redemption.
AIA San Francisco and the Center for Architecture + Design present San Francisco Living: Home Tours
Tomorrow, the AIA San Francisco and the Center for Architecture + Design will host San Francisco Living: Home Tours, an open…
- September 20, 2019
Aperture Cellars Preview: Visual Perspectives On A Shared Passion
As an impressionable youth, rising star Sonoma winemaker Jesse Katz would accompany his father renowned photographer Andy Katz, to the great…
- September 19, 2019
Out on the Town: Fall Kick-Off
California Home+Design hosts a fall kick-off celebration at Spruce On September 12, California Home+Design along with presenting partners Ferguson Kitchen, Bath…
- September 17, 2019